Friday 13 February 2015

A climbing rose in partial shade...

Here are some sites where I found some info on roses and shade.
http://www.berkeleyhort.com/roses_selecting_climbers.html
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Advanced.asp?PageId=2020
Of course, the David Austin roses are spectacular. I just want to be sure that if I spend the money - and roses are not cheap - that it will grow in that spot out back where the climbing hydrangea was wreaking havoc on the fence. I am feeling somewhat doubtful that a rose will thrive there. I found a sun calculator on Amazon for around $13 so that may well be my first step.
I need to be sure that the rose will receive a minimum of 4 hours a day of sunshine. And I also found a site that suggested that the lighter colour the rose, the less sunshine it needs. Ok. That works for me.
I think that it was Paul Zimmerman who also said that dappled sunshine is fine, not deep shade though.
Maybe I should plant it in a pot first and see how it does. That might be the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment