Thursday 10 October 2013

Vegetables and Herbs

I am not a keen vegetable grower. I grow some vegetables but not many. Truthfully, just tomatoes and lettuce in pots although I do sometimes try something new. And only cherry tomatoes unless I mess up and buy the wrong plants. Which I commonly do...and no, I do not start vegetables from seed. We eat both of the vegetables that I do grow and they are scrumptious! They also look beautiful.

This was the centrepiece on my coffee table. 







The Green Zebra tomatoes are not cherry but I already admitted to making mistakes! However, you can also see my unfortunate attempt at kale. I think that the pot was too small but don't really care enough to try again.


Do you see the Pear shaped cherry tomatoes? Beautiful, tasty and easy to grow.


I do not grow full size tomatoes because I simply have had no luck with them. They always get blight. The cherry tomatoes are a food source and they always produce. Reliable and tasty. For some reason, I did not take any pictures of my lettuce but it was not fabulous this year so that is likely why. 
Years ago, I used to have a large vegetable garden. I was very enthusiastic and had a solid yield every year but I found that my enthusiasm waned over the years. I prefer my garden to be filled with flowers, shrubs and trees. Period. I don't know why but there you have it.
I use Seasoil exclusively for my tomatoes and lettuce. I do not at any time add a fertilizer to my vegetables. If they produce (which the cherry tomatoes and lettuce always do) then I am happy and we have fantastic salads and tomatoes sauces all summer long...more or less. Lets face it, on the North Shore we have some really rainy summers.
A couple of weeks ago I was visiting a girlfriend and I had a look at the kale that she had grown this summer. They were massive! I should have felt somewhat embarrassed but I didn't. Hmmm. Apparently I am fulfilled with my few little vegetable plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment