Monday 14 October 2013

Lavender

The last blog made me think about my lavender. It has been an absolute surprising joy for years. Surprising because it has done so well. It has re-seeded every year without fail. The first time was shocking and every subsequent time I am still taken aback. Interestingly, the plants themselves seem to die every four years or so. Thomas Hobbs of Southland's Nursery actually has a sign that indicates that lavender usually dies out every four years. This seems to be so.
I have a mix of different types of lavender. French, Spanish and English. No fuss, no muss. Seriously. No fertilizer or anything.
They are South West facing so they get a lot of direct sunlight...at least, for North Vancouver.
I believe that it is my careless habits that has them re-seeding. Once a year, I do cut them back. Usually in October. I do not do so, however, with a tidy hand. I cut and toss the dried tops and I think that that is why they re-seed. My careless flick of the wrist.
I began with three plants in a small area at the top of a hill. Now they are all the way down the hill and pushing up an hydrangea that is getting in their way.
This year, I did not buy any lavender plants. Last year, I bought 4.
I run my hands through them and enjoy the smell. I also water them first in the hot (ok..ish) sun because the smell of lavender just comes off of them in waves.
My sister-in-law makes the most fragrant sachets ever from them.
A couple of hints for any beginners out there..1. never cut lavender down to its old growth (the dark brown stem) because it will die. It will.
2. lavender likes poor soil and some neglect.
3. It loves direct sun.
4. don't over water. I just spitz it whenever I water and water it twice a week at most if it is really sunny and warm.

That is it. Simple but irresistible.

I discovered this year, as well, that it is not the most photogenic of plants. It does not really make you gasp in awe of its colour, beauty or texture. But as a subtle, delicate, fragrant addition to the wow plants, it is a miracle. I have seen fields of it in France where the beauty and sheer size of the field is stunning but not in my garden pictures. These are the best that I have to offer...Sorry. It is a plant to be experienced not viewed.



This is my favourite picture of the lavender and it was taken in October. The bright blue hydrangea has faded to a stunning silvery purple that alongside the silvery blue and purple lavender is breath taking. 
Just glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment