Wednesday 16 October 2013

More updates

Well, I am feeling enthusiastic. It is still glorious outside and my garden is fantabulous. (I sang that in my head Fan..Taaaa..bu...lous!)
I collected maple leaves from my lucky neighbours today. Down the street I went, with my rake in hand. After 10 trips or so, I had covered the fragile areas that I worry about in the winter.
I always cover my tree peony, my maples that are in pots, the bases of any trees that I do not want to lose over the winter because they are not established and newer areas that are dry and not rich enough.

My tree peony is too the right of the picture. You can see the leaves all over the base. Also, my rhododendron is blooming. How fortunate are we?

This is the new reworked area. I covered it in leaves for the winter. I am especially careful with the Ayesha hydrangea. I have two. One is pink and the other blue.


If you look at the top of this picture, to the left, you can see the Sambuca Elderberry. I hope that it survives the winter after being transplanted.


Today I managed to prune some of my plants. I actually took up the bottom of the PeeGee tree. It was scary but I only took off the bottom. Here is how it was in the beginning of the season and then how it was the other day and finally, today. 





Can you see how the air can get in there and circulate during the coming seasons? I may prune it back some more but not before reading up on it.
I also cut back the hydrangea in the next picture. Do you see how it looks  (very roughly) like a tied flower arrangement? I love that shape and so do the hydrangeas.


Finally, I pruned back my apple tree and cut back the lavender. I will not torture anyone with pics of the apple tree. I am not a fruit tree person. No knowledge whatsoever and my tree looks like someone has hacked at it randomly. That would be me. 
The lavender haircut just helps the lavender look less straggly next year. It works brilliantly and is a pleasure to work with. Texture and fragrance.

If you look in the bottom left hand corner, you will see the lavender. Only the finished lavender was cut. Some is still blooming and I left that alone!


No comments:

Post a Comment