Thursday 29 January 2015

A day with my Japanese weeping maple.

So, the work continues. I finished up the pruning of the weeping maple. Unfortunately, there were a lot of dead branches. A lot! I had never pruned it in the past and that resulted in the entire inner works dieing. I researched how to prune weeping maples and found this site.
It is not a YouTube site but a written explanation which I found comforting. http://www.thepruningschool.com/Articles/maples.htm
and then another YouTube site which is a bit odd but informative.
http://www.thepruningschool.com/Articles/maples.htm it is a series of 4.
Finally, I liked this one too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqtacYdoy9Y
I found some which were just a waste of time. I think and hope that I figured it all out. Man, I hope so.
I love love love this tree and I so want it to be healthy and happy.
Some notes of interest and general rules. Do not let anything grow up against it. It blocks the light and beaches will die. Do not let the branches hang deep and thick. The underneath will die off. Do not let the branches hit and trail on the ground. I don't know why not .... but all of my research says that it is a no no so I am ok with that.
Here is a picture of the finished product. I forgot to take a before picture. Figures.



Do you see the hydrangea on the right of the tree? I let it take over and crowd the tree. I will not sacrifice that gorgeous maple for a over achieving hydrangea. Therefore, I will be cutting out some of the branches from the bottom of the hydrangea to reduce its size.

No comments:

Post a Comment