Monday 12 January 2015

Try, try and try again!

So I am back at it!
This year will be a bit different from others. I have now planted my garden to the point where I really do not have a lot more space. I need to refine, shape and beautify what I already have...and add only really special plants.
Therefore, I am so excited as we just received the catalogue from botanus.com and I have already ordered two really glorious roses. As you have seen over the last year, I have posted lots of pictures of our stunning Eden rose. It is a pale pink and is made up of layer after layer of petals. I was just playing with my pictures and this is what I came up with picture wise. This is why I want more roses.

 
I have ordered two new roses from Botanus. Claire Austin from David Austin's English Roses and Anna's Promise from Weeks Roses. Now I just have to plant them when they arrive and hopefully they will thrive.
I spent some time this morning watching YouTube videos on roses. How to plant, soil conditions, train, prune etc. I really enjoyed the videos by Paul Zimmerman and found his website here: http://paulzimmermanroses.com. I liked his tutorials the most because they were easy to follow and his rules are clear and concise. Sometimes I watch videos and end up more concerned then before I started; but these seemed pretty clearcut. I do not like to fuss and that is reflected in my gardening style. I have no time for high maintenance anything.
Unfortunately, that sometimes results in poor planning and planting in the first place so I have to backtrack and redo and refine.
I never properly trained my climbing Eden rose so I will do that this year. I also need to replant the roses that I took from my Auntie Dot's garden. I threw them in the ground with no planning at all. It was just about their survival at the time.
I will try to document what Liz (my friend and garden helper) and I do this year and actually post our progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment