Wednesday 19 June 2013

RAIN,Rain,rain

Apparently, even in North Vancouver, you can't depend on a solid rain. Watering is an hour long production which the weather is messing up. A drizzle doesn't cut it when you have a garden full of hydrangea, rhodos and hostas. I cover my garden with bags of peat moss every year to help with the retention of water but  still have to water. It has come to my attention that there are other options out there that do not deplete peat bogs. I will look into it and let you know what I find. Coconut comes to mind.
I hand water everything. I do not use a sprinkler as I can't imagine getting up at the crack of dawn to meet the water restrictions. My lawn is ignored except for cutting and re-seeding.
Gardens cost a lot of money and if you don't water them your investment is gone. There are lots of options for watering. Drip hoses, timers, sprinkler systems are just some. It depends what you want to spend and maybe the purpose of your garden. I talk and stroke my plants when I am out there. Watering gives me an hour to myself to enjoy the beauty of it all. It is my joy...just for me.
Of course plant selection can cut down on your watering. Lavender, thistle, and Russian sage are drought resistant and gorgeous in the right location. If I plant something where it does not thrive...I move it. No fuss and no babying.

No comments:

Post a Comment